These small star-shaped tarts are among the typical Salento sweets of the Christmas period. According to tradition, they are stuffed with "mustarda", a sort of homemade grape mustard, but you can also use your favorite jam!
Difficult level: easy
Preparation time: 40 min
Cooking time: 30 min
Servings: about 40 pitteddhe
For the shortbread
- Flour 00 500 gr
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil 120 ml
- Grated rind of 1 untreated lemon
- Salt a pinch
For the filling
- Grape mustard or jam
1. Pour the flour, oil, salt, grated lemon rind into a bowl and mix until you obtein a soft and elastic dough. If necessary, add some water.
2. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
3. After the resting time, roll out the dough with a rolling pin until you get a thickness of about 2 mm.
4. Cut the dough with a pasta bowl of 5 cm in diameter, you can use a glass as well.
5. Put a spoon of mustard or jam in the center of each disc of dough and pinch the edge with fingers, slightly lifting it, to get the star shape.
6. Bake at 180° in preheated oven for about half an hour.
7. Churn out the tarts, once cold sprinkle with icing sugar.