In Salento we call them "sciuscelle" and they are really insane! Bread balls are a tasty but very simple dish to prepare, also useful for not wasting the leftover bread in the previous days. In this recipe we propose the sciuscelle cooked in tomato sauce, but they are also excellent in broth!
Difficult level: easy
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 30 min
Servings: 4 people
- 300 gr stale bread
- 100 gr grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- 400 gr tomato sauce
- 1 onion
- 1 cup of milk
- Mint, Parsley, Salt, Pepper to taste
- Flour if necessary
1. Let's start by removing the crust from the slices of stale bread and cutting them into cubes.
2. With the help of a mixer, blend them to obtain a kind of breadcrumbs.
3. Put the bread in a large bowl and add the grated cheese, eggs, a cup of milk and salt.
4. Add the chopped mint, parsley and pepper.
5. Mix the mixture with the help of our hands to obtain a homogeneous mixture.
6. The dough should not be too soft or too hard: if it is too soft, add a little flour, if it is too thick, add another egg.
7. At this point form the bread balls, working a small portion of dough with hands, giving it the shape of an elongated ball.
8. Arrange them on a tray and prepare the sauce.
9. Finely chop an onion and brown it in a high-sided pan with a drizzle of oil.
10. When the onion is golden, lower the heat and add half a cup of water: let the onion simmer until it is wilted.
11. Raise the heat, add the tomato auce and a glass of water: we have to obtain a liquid sauce so that the meatballs cook in the right humidity.
12. Mix, add a pinch of salt and pour the meatballs.
13. Cover with a lid and cook for 20-25 minutes, turning the meatballs from time to time.
14. The meatballs will be ready as soon as the sauce begins to shrink.
15. At this point, let's serve them hot!